This is a setup guide for PPTP VPN connection on DD-WRT compatible routers being used as an Access Point.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Setting up DD-WRT on a compatible router is not for novice users. This setup does require a certain amount of experience and knowledge of how internal networks operate. It is not possible for us to assist in the flashing of routers or the installation of DD-WRT firmware. It is also not possible for us to assist in the setup of the VPN service, nor can we be held responsible for damage caused by clients configuring un-compatible routers or flashing incorrect firmware. If you choose to setup your VPN connection over DD-WRT, we have very limited support available and we are unable to assist remotely. Please only install official DD-WRT firmware from the DD-WRT website onto compatible routers.
If you do choose to configure your connection through DD-WRT, please note that it is still largely unsupported. If you have any problems we will not be able to help you troubleshoot. You should be prepared to lose internet connectivity and be ready and know how to return the router to factory defaults.
1. Login to your home router with DD-WRT version v24 sp2 or higher on it.
2. Click on the "Setup" tab.
3. Select "PPTP" from the "Connection Type" drop down menu.
4. Place a check in the "Yes" checkbox for "Use DHCP".
5. Enter the server address in "Gateway (PPTP Server) field".
6. Enter your VPN account username and password in the "User Name" and "Password" fields.
7. Place a check in the "PPTP Encryption" checkbox.
8. Ensure the "STP" checkbox is set to "Disable".
9. Enter an IP address for the DD-WRT access point. (You need to choose an IP that do not conflict with your main router IP address. For example, if your main router IP is "192.168.1.1", you can set the access point IP to "192.168.1.50".)
10. Set the "Subnet Mask" to "255.255.255.0".
11. Enable the "DHCP Server" and ensure the "Start IP Address" is one higher than the router IP.
12. Uncheck all three checkboxes for "Use DNSMasq for DNCP", "Use DNSMasq for DNS" and "DHCP-Authoritative".
13. Click the "Apply Settings" Button. (If you changed the IP address of the DD-WRT router in step 9, the DD-WRT administration area will be at that URL once the settings have been applied.)
14. Click on the "Security" tab in the menu at the top of the page.
15. Select the "Disable" checkbox in the "SPI Firewall".
16. Click on the "Apply Settings" button in order to save the changes.
17. Click on "VPN Passthrough".
18. Ensure the "PPTP passthrough" is set to "Enable".
19. Again click on the "Apply Settings" button in order to save the changes.
20. Go to the "Administration" tab.
21. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Reboot Router" button. (It is a good idea to also reboot your main router.)
22. If you have not already done so you must connect your DD-WRT router WAN port to your modem or to the LAN port on your main router.
23. Your DD-WRT router will now reboot. Once rebooted you should be connected to the VPN.